Friday, July 22, 2011

Mercury God of Communication and the Mind

Do you ever feel stupid? I used to! I talk to a lot of people through my work and sometimes I don’t understand a word they are saying, it goes right over my head. It used to make me feel less than when I didn’t comprehend something, and I often felt that in order to feel useful I had to get a college degree or some type formal academic training under my belt to prove I was a sophisticated and intelligent person.
Not all of us know the life cycle of a fly or what it means if the NASDAQ is below a certain percentage, when your around those who do it can be intimidating to talk to them. But what most of us don’t realize is that in our chosen field, which I assume you know A LOT about, we can be intimidating to someone who doesn’t understand it. It goes both ways. The great thing about life is it is one big school, we are always learning and presented with opportunities to continue our education!
I for one ask a lot of questions it is my Gemini curiosity rearing its head and everything interests me from the KFC cashier to the celebrities! Five or six years ago I would have had all these questions brewing in my mind but never the confidence to ask them. What changed it? Deity, He/She is all knowing, and as children of the deity we have a need to know. Nothing will ever change that.
The other thing that you need to keep in mind when you feel intimidated by a situation like this is that people love to talk about themselves. When I meet a person for the first time after introductions are done I often ask them to tell me their story. When some hears that phrase they will do one of two things, open up completely and unload all their dirty secrets and childhood memories, or just give me the basics either way I get them to talk a little (or a lot) about themselves. If you feel comfortable you can talk about yourself or just listen. But remember to use those I statements.
When they begin to talk about something you know nothing about just simply say, “I love what I am hearing but I think I would be able to appreciate it more if you explained (what ever part) to me.” People love to be praised it’s in our nature to look for gratification from others. If it is an aspect of their work you can say, “Wow I can see you are very proud of what you do, it sounds very interesting! I feel that I could understand your work better if you explained (aspect of work) to me.”
One of the other things that used to really make me uncomfortable was being at a party and not knowing anyone. But I am a Goddess, you are God or Goddess, so that kind of makes us family doesn’t it? Once you recognize the God or Goddess in yourself and others you will begin to feel more comfortable not only with yourself but with people you do not know. Let’s work on these two things: Asking questions to strangers and introducing yourself to strangers.

Next Post will be Mercury's Exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment